Daniel Bailey joined Joseph & Cohen as Of Counsel in 2018. He is a trial attorney with considerable experience in a wide variety of commercial and business litigation contexts including breach of contract, insurance coverage, commercial leases, trademark infringement and employment. He regularly advises corporations and financial institutions regarding risk management and insurance coverage matters.
Mr. Bailey is also expert in representing the needs of the wine industry. Mr. Bailey has been quoted regarding the wine industry in various national periodicals including The Wall Street Journal, The Washington Post, The Austin Statesman, Bloomberg News, and Newsday. Additionally, the United States State Department selected Mr. Bailey to explain U.S. wine law to Bulgaria’s top-level wine industry and trade representatives.
Representative matters handled by Mr. Bailey include:
- Prevailed on behalf of one of the country’s largest wineries in an action to enforce multiple grape purchasing agreements wherein the grower refused to deliver on the eve of harvest including obtaining injunctive relief compelling the grower to perform.
- Defended public company in multiple class actions brought by shareholders as a result of a failed leveraged buy out by management and resulting take over battle. Instigated a successful coverage and bad faith action arising from these shareholder suits.
- Prevailed on behalf of a defunct custom fabricator for the Federal Government in a professional negligence claim against its insurance broker as a result of a failure to obtain long tail coverage for completed operations.
- Successfully represented tenants and building owners including members of the Fortune Top 50 in commercial leasing and related litigation, including unlawful detainer and trespass actions.
- Enforced disputed lien rights on behalf of a major wind farm developer.
- Obtained insurance benefits for companies in multiple instances including defalcations by officers of the corporation.
- Successfully defended clients in numerous administrative actions before governmental agencies including the California Department of Labor.
- Defended and managed legal exposures including the protection of private information and trade secrets of a company who provides experts for parties involved in litigation.
- Enforced the intellectual property rights of various common law trademark owners.
- Defended international company who had been accused of counterfeiting goods and infringing on domestic trademarks.
- Successfully prosecuted breach of contract suit against California based companies on behalf of an Eastern European wine distributor.
Mr. Bailey is a member of the State Bar of California and admitted to practice before the California Supreme Court and the Central, Eastern, Northern, and Southern Federal Districts of California.
His past law firm experience includes:
- Senior Associate in the San Francisco office of Winston & Strawn LLP
- Associate at K&L Gates (previously known as Kirkpatrick & Lockhart Nicholson Graham)
Mr. Bailey was awarded his Juris Doctor degree from Golden Gate University School of Law in 1999. While at GGU, Mr. Bailey was a Law Review Associate Editor; a Merit Scholar (a non-need based award of full tuition) from 1996 to 1999; and a member of the Dean’s List from 1996 to 1999. In 1995, Mr. Bailey earned a CPCU (Chartered Property Casualty Underwriter) from the Insurance Institute of America. He received a BA from the University of California, Berkeley in 1990. He frequently judges appellate advocacy for the GGU School of Law and the American Bar Association.