Robyn C. Callahan
Robyn C. Callahan joined Joseph & Cohen as Of Counsel in 2014. She is a skilled litigator specializing in business litigation, employment law and commercial disputes, including complex class actions. With over a decade of experience working for both boutique and global Am Law 100 ranked firms, Ms. Callahan has successfully represented clients across a broad range of industries in federal, state and appellate courts. Her experience encompasses all facets of civil litigation, including pre-litigation counseling and analysis of key legal and factual issues, discovery, trial, pre and post-trial motions, settlement negotiations and mediations.
Ms. Callahan’s employment practice focuses on discrimination, harassment, retaliation, wrongful discharge, pay practices, wage and hour violations, employee hiring, discipline and termination, defamation, as well as other employment-related tort claims. In addition, she handles unfair competition, non-solicitation/non-compete issues and trade secret misappropriation claims. She has successfully obtained and defended against temporary restraining orders (TROs) and preliminary injunctions related to the disclosure of confidential and proprietary information.
Ms. Callahan’s corporate litigation experience includes director and officer liability matters, shareholder disputes, breach of fiduciary duty claims, corporate internal investigations and various commercial disputes involving breach of contract, and other business conduct claims.
With the rising risks of significant discovery sanctions related to electronically stored information (ESI), Ms. Callahan also regularly advises clients on best practices for record retention and the development and implementation of practical, efficient, proportional and defensible eDiscovery policies and practices. She has successfully negotiated discovery protocols aimed at reducing the burden and cost of eDiscovery.
Ms. Callahan’s representative matters include:
- Defended an international company in a federal case involving trade secret misappropriation, unfair competition and false advertising claims.
- Represented a senior manager in an action involving wrongful termination, discrimination, harassment and misrepresentation against a former employer.
- Conducted employee audits and investigations regarding exempt and nonexempt classifications, meal and rest breaks, overtime pay, independent contractors and various other compliance issues.
- Successfully settled commercial disputes on behalf of a nationwide packaging company in litigation against its outside vendor.
- Defended a public company in a class action brought under California’s wage and hour and unfair competition laws.
Ms. Callahan is a member of the State Bar of California and admitted to practice before the California Supreme Court, 9th Circuit Court of Appeals, and the Central District, Eastern District and Northern District Courts of California.
Previously, Ms. Callahan served as a judicial extern to the Hon. A. James Robertson II, Hon. James J. McBride and Hon. David Garcia (ret.) in the San Francisco County Superior Court Law and Motion Department.